New Jersey Notary Public Exam
Welcome to the State of New Jersey Notary Public Online Exam. State law requires all Notary applicants to complete a Notary education course and to pass a test regarding the office before they can be granted commissions.
To meet these requirements, you must:
- Read the New Jersey Notary Public Manual thoroughly.
- Attest that you have read the manual. (At this time, reading the manual satisfies the requirement for course work. In the future, the Division will enhance the course work by including materials and content.)
- Pass the Notary Public Online Exam.
To begin the online exam process, please start a New Commissioning Application. If you have already applied for the exam and have not used all of your attempts, you can use the Begin Exam Attempt option. If you have used all of your attempts and need to retake the exam, please start a New Commissioning Application.
Once you have passed the online exam, you will be able to fill out and submit your Notary Public Application online.
New Notary Applicant Process
- Review the NJ Notary Public Manual
- Complete the Notary Commissioning Application (Attorneys- Please skip to step 4)
- Take & Pass the Notary Public Exam
- Complete your Notary Public Registration Application
If you are an active Notary Public and need to renew, you are NOT required to take the Notary Public Exam and are only required to submit your Notary Renewal Application.
If it has been over 30 days since your Notary Commission has expired, you will be considered a New Notary Applicant & be required to take the Notary Public Exam.